Java library/java interface or wrapper methods for gpg/GnuPG

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed Jul 16 10:31:02 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:38:46 +0200, Ralf Hauser said:

> Hi,
>> From a standard tomcat - struts - MySQL web application, we would like to
> send gpg encrypted / signed e-mails. The public keys will most likely be
> held in the relational database on a per recipient basis.

GnupG requires that keys are stored in its own database due to web of
trust issues and revocations.  If you really want to store the key
external, index it by the fingerprint and first try to encrypt using
the fingerprint.  If this fails, import the key into GnuPG and try
again.  Of course, you can always import a key but this requires a
full web of trust check and thus slows down the ooperation.  GnuPG 2.0
will have a way to handle ephemeral keys in its own data base;
i.e. those keys are deleted after some time.

> Are there any Java interfaces to gpg like http://www.bouncycastle.org/ for
> S/MIME?

I don't know.

> Or should http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/related_software/gpgme/index.html.en be
> used ?

GPGME is definitely the way to go for language wrappers.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk@gnupg.org>