Invalid passphrase

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 22:03:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_iRaG/tEI1GuYxjn

On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 12:08 am, John Aldrich wrote:
> I *know* what I set the passphrase to on my PGP keys, but after upgrading
> to the "new and improved" GPG-Plugin, I can no longer use my GPG keys. It
> keeps telling me that I don't have a passphrase entered and automatically

Take note of the dialog box - if it is the one you saw before using the plu=
gin=20
(it just asks for the passphrase with (IIRC) the email address as a prompt)=
,=20
the daemon environment variable is NOT within scope of KMail. NOTE: I did n=
ot=20
say the daemon wasn't running or that the variable didn't exist - it isn't=
=20
within the SCOPE of KMail. To test this, close KMail and open a terminal=20
window then run the daemon eval command again from a terminal and as soon a=
s=20
it returns, TYPE kmail at the prompt in the same terminal window. Do not=20
start Kmail from any menus, icons, taskbars or applets - only from that=20
terminal window. Now you should see a different dialog box - one that=20
includes much more detail of the key : key size, full key description=20
including name, comment and email, keyid and subkey details. Only if you ge=
t=20
that 'special' dialog is the variable correctly set.

> tries to send encrypted/signed emails, EVEN T HOUGH I DO NOT HAVE
> "AUTO-SIGN" ENABLED!

Umm, sorry to say this, but I thought so too. In fact, you do have auto-sig=
n=20
enabled, just not where you THINK it is enabled. Go to the KMail settings,=
=20
Security, Crypto-Plugins and select the cryptoplugin if it isn't the only o=
ne=20
in the list. Now click Configure and look over the automatic settings there=
=2E=20
These settings are overriding your other KMail settings.

> What the heck is the problem here, people? I manually compiled everything
> from the tarballs using the command-line options specified on the KMail
> site and have got the Daemon running, so why does it 1) refuse to recogni=
ze
> my passphrase and 2) always assume I want to sign and/or encrypt my emails
> when I have it set to NOT sign/encrypt by default?

When you run the eval command from a terminal window, are you able to decry=
pt=20
files at the command line IN THE SAME TERMINAL? You should, again, see the=
=20
special dialog instead of the usual command prompt. (This can be configured=
=20
at compile time back to command line if you need init=3D3/console only acce=
ss -=20
see the Aegypten site for info).
http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html
http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html

If in doubt, always issue another eval command=20
eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
and then test gpg / kmail directly from that terminal window. It's the only=
=20
way of being sure that the variable is completely within the scope of the=20
test program. (Multiple instances of gpg-agent are not a problem and will b=
e=20
killed when you shutdown or manually using ps ax | grep gpg and then kill).

> This is being cross-posted to the gnupg-users and the kmail list because
> I'm not sure where the problem lies. It *was* working up until I used the

It lies in your .xsession or startkde scripts, I'm afraid. Once you get the=
=20
eval command in the right script for your distro ( middle of=20
/usr/bin/startkde for Mandrake - NOT the end) it will work flawlessly every=
=20
time. (Logout and login before testing settings from startkde).

> new "plugin" scheme, at which point I was able to add a key for a new ema=
il
> address, but I can no longer use my valid passphrase for my other keys.
>
> This is getting REALLY aggravating REALLY quickly and I'd really apprecia=
te
> some help on this!

In times of desperation, you can still use command line GnuPG - simply comm=
ent=20
out the use-agent line in the config. (gpg.conf or options).

Just remember to uncomment it when you want to test the variable again!

=2D-=20

Neil Williams
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.codehelp.co.uk