Diminished Disk Space after running file encryption

Daniel Carrera dcarrera@math.umd.edu
Sun Jul 20 12:58:02 2003

This definitelly has the looks of a swap file problem.  That's not the
same thing as a temp file.  The swap file is used when you run out of RAM
memmory.

As for why you can't find it.  I'm not sure that the swap file shows up in
the Windows file system.

Notice, I'm not entirely familiar with Windows and swap files.  I'm more
used to Linux and swap partitions (a swap partition won't change size and
it is optimized for swapping).  Therefore, you should take my comments
with a grain of salt.

You cannot delete the swap file.  Nor would you want to.  You need it for
the extra memmory.  I think that there's a way to set a maximum size for
the swap file.  I'm not sure how.  Maybe someone else does.  This should
help.  I guess you can try to free-up some space on your computer, or you
can zip the file before encrypting it.

Sorry I can't help much.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:36:13AM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> WinPT, GnuPG
>
> I wonder if anyone using the above programs has experienced a problem
> that I have not been able to get to the bottom of.  If I try to encrypt
> a file of about 370Mb I can watch as my available disk space on my main
> system drive drops dramatically.  I had about 1Gb and it drops rapidly
> until there is no space left - so there must be a temp file being
> created somewhere?  Well when the space runs out GnuPG does not throw an
> error - it just stops encrypting and I now only have 388Mb free on the
> drive.  I've Scandisk the drive - no errors.  I've searched for files
> greater than 50Mb - nothing suspicious is thrown up. I just have
> considerably less disk space than I did.
>
> Could this be something to do with a bloated swap file? Or does anyone
> have any advice?  How do I delete the swap file to see if that improves
> things?
>
> Win98SE, PIII 450MHz, 384Mb RAM, 1 Gb free disk space on C:, >40Mb free
> elsewhere
>
> TIA,
> RT

- --
Daniel Carrera    | OpenPGP fingerprint:
Mathematics Dept. | 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
UMD, College Park | http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html