Revoke old keys

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Thu Jul 24 10:09:01 2003

--Boundary-02=_5R5H/OlW6DMBI+u

On Thursday 24 July 2003 07:50, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

> Yes I know it's 'gpg --delete-secret-key DEADBEEF' and 'gpg --delete-key
> DEADBEEF'. I already did that. My question was about the keys on the
> keyservers, like you can do with a revocation certificate.

You can try to bug the keyserver operators, but I would not advise it.=20
Probably they won't delete your key anyway, but just ignore your mail,=20
because even when you manage to delete your old public keys on most or even=
=20
all public keyservers, how can you absolutely know that there isn't somebod=
y=20
who has an old keyring around and just decides to upload your old key again?

The other thing is, of course, workload: once the keyserver operators start=
 to=20
accept such requests, I bet there's tons of old keys around...

The third thing is authentication: is can you prove that you're the origina=
l=20
owner of the old key?

Personally, I would be in favor of key expiration on the keyservers: delete=
=20
keys that did not get any new signatures in the last 5 years, delete keys=20
that have only self signatures after 1 year. But again: this would be on a=
=20
per-keyserver basis, so those deleted keys would probably re-appear again a=
nd=20
again.

cheers
=2D- vbi