Virtual Keysignings

Burns burns@runbox.com
Mon Jun 9 04:21:02 2003

- --- Ingo Klöcker <ingo.kloecker@epost.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2003 15:05, CL Gilbert wrote:
> > I think the difference would be that I admit I am no notary
public.
> > But others do not.  Is a drivers license good enough for you?
>
> No. I wouldn't accept a driver's license. But I would accept a
passport.
> Of course, it would probably be easy to fool me with a foreign
> (non-German) passport because I don't know what most foreign
passports
> look like it.
>
> > they can be faked you know.
>
> Every official document can be forged so that a layman can't tell
the
> difference. But are signatures on an OpenPGP key worth the risk?
>
> > Do you have any training on determining fakes?
>
> No.
>
> > What good is a first and last name to you anyway? Their are
1000s of
> > people with the same. Its only important that the carl gilbert
that
> > paid you for the work, is the carl gilbert you give the work
too.  At
> > least I think so.
>
> You forgot the email address. Together with the email address you
get a
> one-to-one relation between keys and people (at least for those
keys
> that have a signature you trust).
>
> Let's say I want to contact the Carl Gilbert who works at Rigid
> Software. At the website of this company I find Carl's email
address.
> Unless I also find Carl's OpenPGP key on the company's website, I
then
> look for his key on the keyservers. If I now find one or more keys
then
> I check the signatures of those keys. If there's a key that is
signed
> by someone I trust then I assume that I found the correct key.
That's
> exactly how the web of trust works. It allows me to use keys that
have
> been signed by people I trust. I don't have to check all keys
myself.

> Regards,
> Ingo

- From some web surfing on the subject of driver's license ID:

(Note: Passports aren't nearly as common in the US, as they are in
Europe):

===============
Identification Requirements for obtaining a Minnesota Driver's
License (similar in most US States)
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/ID%20Requirments/Temp%20ID/IDReq.htm

===============
Machines detect fake IDs       (PDF Document)
by Nicole Christiansen, The St.Thomas Aquin weekly
www.stthomas.edu/aquin/092702/01092702.pdf

===============
Fake IDs a big business, spotting them is a skill

Employees at area's campus bars are trained to catch counterfeits

Thursday, June 5, 2003
BY AMALIE NASH, Ann Arbor News
http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_stand
ard.xsl?/base/news-4/1054824396320450.xml

EXCERPT:
- --------

At the Cavern Club, the doorman uses a black light, which will bring
to light a hologram on a real Michigan driver's license. He also has
a booklet handy that includes pictures and descriptions of licenses
from every state and many other countries.

[SNIP]

"We know there are a lot of them out there," Jatczak said. "With
these, you need to carefully look at the digits of the year. The
fake ones are a little darker and wider, but it's subtle. The
picture is also a little darker on the duplicated ones than the
official one."

At Rick's American Cafe on South University Avenue, customers must
take their driver's licenses out of wallets and hand them to a
bouncer for a close look, said Steve Crowley, the bar owner. A key
indicator of a fake license is the lamination because it is likely
to crack when bent, Crowley said.

There's no foolproof way to stop fake IDs from slipping by, but
bouncers at Rick's look at the printing on the license, the size of
the photo and the hologram, as well as the demeanor of the customer,
Crowley said. If they aren't sure, they may ask the person to sign a
paper to compare to the license signature or provide additional
pieces of identification.

Randy