Expiry and subkeys

Ben Finney bignose@zip.com.au
Tue Jun 10 01:32:02 2003

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

Howdy all,

So now that Ingo has helped me get rid of the irrelevant log attachment
I was sending out, hopefully my emails won't be so annoying.

My keyrings are in an odd state: an expired subkey is causing error
messages, leading me to believe I've done something wrong.  I don't know
what, though, or how to find out.

These are my keys: a main key, a current subkey, and an expired subkey:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
$ gpg --list-keys bignose
pub  1024D/BD41714B 2000-01-19 Ben Finney <bignose@zip.com.au>
sub  2048g/05508D5C 2003-01-19 [expires: 2006-01-18]
sub  4096g/3D0FDD17 2000-01-19 [expires: 2003-01-18]
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The subkey expired on schedule, at which point I created the new subkey.
I was happily using the key long after the subkey expiry date of
2003-01-18, indicating that the current subkey was working fine.

It has only been in the last month that I get the message (immediately
following the command, before any prompt):

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
echo 'Blah' | /usr/bin/gpg --armor --clearsign -
gpg: no secret subkey for public subkey 3D0FDD17 - ignoring

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Ben Finney <bignose@zip.com.au>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID BD41714B, created 2000-01-19

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I'm stuck.  I don't know how to diagnose this error.  Feel free to ask
for more details, but please tell me how to get them.

--=20
 \           "If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your |
  `\      horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back |
_o__)             and the guy was reading a magazine."  -- Jack Handey |
bignose@zip.com.au  F'print 9CFE12B0 791A4267 887F520C B7AC2E51 BD41714B

--=20
 \      "He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his |
  `\                          enemy from oppression."  -- Thomas Paine |
bignose@zip.com.au  F'print 9CFE12B0 791A4267 887F520C B7AC2E51 BD41714B

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--