Problem =20 [newbie]

Ingo Klöcker ingo.kloecker@epost.de
Fri Jun 13 08:12:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_jTP6+brvxFPJKuT

On Thursday 12 June 2003 12:07, Johan Wevers wrote:
> Ingo [Kl_cker] wrote:
> > One reason for leaving spaces a the end of a line is to distinguish
> > soft linebreaks (because of word wrapping of long lines) from hard
> > linebreaks.
>
> That distinction should not be made in email and usenet messages.
> They are a plain ASCII medium, not intended for extra markup. Line
> lengths should be shorter than 78 chars anyway.

So? After the third reply even a line which was originally only 72 chars=20
long will then be 78 chars long.

> Line-wrapping mail clients are another large reason for failed
> signatures. And ugly workarounds that attack the wrong end of the
> problem are also already proposed (check sig for each possible
> breakup and say signature OK when one of them matches).

C'mon. The only problem here is mail clients that can't sign messages=20
themselves and therefore force the user to use an auxiliary application=20
in order to be able to sign messages. A mail client that has built-in=20
OpenPGP of course signs the message after line-wrapping the message=20
text. So no problem here.

> > This information could then be used by the receiving mail client to
> > re-wordwrap the quoted paragraphs in case a quoted line becomes to
> > long because of the additional "> ".
>
> Mail clients should not rewrap. But if you want such a machanism, the
> correct marker for a newly to be wrapped area is an empty line, not a
> hard return.

I disagree because I received enough backtraces (layouted like a=20
numbered list) which became very unreadable after the backtrace was=20
rewrapped.

Regards,
Ingo