Why CAs or public keysigning?

Ben Finney bignose@zip.com.au
Thu Jun 19 00:45:01 2003

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS

On 18-Jun-2003, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> A - B
> A - C - B
> A - C - D - B
>=20
> A - B is the strong link. A - C - D - B is the weak link. If D is
> removed it has zero effect on the strong link or the validity of B.
> The connection is as strong as it's strongest link A - B.

What you're calling a "link", most people would call a "path" or
"chain".  A link, in this context, is a direct connection between two of
the nodes in the path.  Each of the hyphens in your diagram is a link;
each complete line of nodes is a path.

I've no idea what you think is meant by the phrase "A chain is only as
strong as its weakest link", since you seem to think "chain" and "link"
are the same thing.

However, though your terminology is confused, you are correct that a
shorter path (or chain) through the web is generally stronger -- simply
because there are fewer possibilities for a weak link along the path.

--=20
 \                "Too many Indians spoil the golden egg."  -- Sir Joh |
  `\                                                   Bjelke-Petersen |
bignose@zip.com.au  F'print 9CFE12B0 791A4267 887F520C B7AC2E51 BD41714B

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS

--dkEUBIird37B8yKS--