[gpg]Re: decrypt stdin with passphrase in

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Mon Jun 30 16:43:03 2003

>On 8420 day of my life Steve Butler wrote:
>>>The example showed you how to use fd 3 as input -- that's the
>>>"3<passfile" bit...
>>
>> That's I/O redirection.
>>
>> I don't think there is any syntax that allows _pipe_ (|) to use
>> anything other than stdlist and stdin.
>>

>echo mypassword | gpg --passphrase-fd 3 3<&0 <file.gpg

Well, to split hairs here, and hair splitting seems to be in vogue right
now, that's still I/O redirection.  The pipe itself is still writing to
STDIN even though STDIN is being redirected to FD 3.

Now if the pipe had a syntax such as 1|3 or even 2|3 (output from STDERR
piped to FD 3), then I'd agree that the syntax for _pipe_ allowed it to use
other file handles than STDLIST and STDIN.

We're Moving June 20th!
600 University St, Suite 1400
Seattle, WA 98101

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.