I have no idea about "IDEA."

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 24 18:36:01 2003

none none wrote:

> As an individual, I don't care much either, but corporations
> have a duty to their shareholders and employees to stay out
> of trouble

Hmmm. I don't have the impression they don't care much about that
recently...

> (including simply avoiding bad publicity for the theft of intellectual
> property

If this were considered to be theft, it would be in a different section
of the lawbooks.

> - even if some guarantee of no additional consequences existed).

Perhaps this is looked at a bit different in the USA, but I doubt most
countries care if no consequences would follow. BTW, the only time I used
pgp commercially it was pgp 2.6, to mail source code encrypted with a
customer who worked on a different location and was a bit paranoid about
security (and then he mailed it to my home address too instead of to my
work email - so far for not letting the code out of the company...).

> Xuejia Lai and James Massey developed IDEA in 1991 (only two
> years before Bruce Schneier designed Blowfish).

But since IDEA was implemented in pgp 2.x, it received much more attention.

> So do I. Given the superior speed of Blowfish, and its far
> more pervasive use (including the Linux kernel as of 2.5.47),
> IDEA will eventually become irrelevant.

I don't follow the developments on that subject very closely - are they
finally building cfs into the standard kernel, instead of having to go
to http://www.kerneli.org for it?

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html