Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Mar 27 16:54:01 2003

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 02:44:05AM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm getting a really weird error when I try and read messages I've
> encrypted to other people.  I can read messages *they* encrypt to *me*
> just fine, and i can encrypt to them and they can read that, but when
> I try to view those messages that i've encrypted to them, i get the
> following error (in mutt):
>=20
> gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug (getkey.c:2208:lookup)
> secmem usage: 1696/1696 bytes in 4/4 blocks of pool 1696/16384
> [-- End of PGP output --]
>=20
> i get the same thing when i try this on the command line on the
> message i've sent:
>=20
> orange:~> gpg --decrypt message.gpg
>=20
> gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug (getkey.c:2208:lookup)
> secmem usage: 1472/1472 bytes in 3/3 blocks of pool 1472/16384
> zsh: 23768 abort      gpg --decrypt message.gpg
>=20
>=20
> I've seen this error before, but never in this context (before it was
> in the context of a corrupt secret key).  I've upgraded my version of
> gnupg a billion times; right now i'm running 1.2.1-2 (so says dpkg
> -l).

That error means "I did a lookup for a secret key in the secret
keyring, and got back a public key.  Why is that in there?"

As strange as it seems, it looks like the same error you had last
time.  Do you have some process running that might be mangling files
into each other by accident? (a misbehaving backup script, perhaps?)

Before you do anything, back up your .gnupg directory.  If something
is eating it, best to establish a good copy as soon as possible.

David

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--