[slug] Re: Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sat Mar 29 22:41:02 2003

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:57:39PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> on Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:54:42AM -0500, David Shaw insinuated:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 02:44:05AM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > > gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug (getkey.c:2208:lookup) secmem
> > > usage: 1696/1696 bytes in 4/4 blocks of pool 1696/16384
> >=20
> > That error means "I did a lookup for a secret key in the secret
> > keyring, and got back a public key.  Why is that in there?"
> >=20
> > As strange as it seems, it looks like the same error you had last
> > time.  Do you have some process running that might be mangling files
> > into each other by accident? (a misbehaving backup script, perhaps?)
>=20
> i really doubt it ... what might be mangling a relevant file?  i have
> cron jobs running every hour to rsync a couple directories to a remote
> system, but not ~/.gnupg ... i daily update an ascii version of my key
> by script, but it shouldn't misbehave, afaik!
>=20
> > Before you do anything, back up your .gnupg directory.  If something
> > is eating it, best to establish a good copy as soon as possible.
>=20
> i backed it up as soon as i created this key, so i wouldn't run into
> this problem again.  but i just restored from backup, and the error
> hasn't changed.  does this mean that my key was corrupt in some was as
> soon as it was created??  that seems *really* weird.

This is just bizarre.  At least it is reproducible so we can try and
work through the possibilities.  You say there isn't any backup script
running that points to ~/.gnupg.  Are there any symlinks inside
=2Egnupg?  Also, what is the contents of your gpg.conf or options file?
How does your key update script work?

David

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--