[slug] Re: Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun Mar 30 05:51:01 2003

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 10:09:36PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> > What happens if you do that export using your keyid rather than
> > letting GnuPG try to pattern match off your email address?
>=20
> argh.  i was doing this on my old key, i guess, and forgot about that
> possibility.  okay, here's better:
>=20
> orange:~/.gnupg> gpg --no-comment --export-secret-key 7ede5499 | gpg
> --list-packets | grep public
>=20
> ... produces nothing.
>=20
> so i guess i *don't* have a public key in there.

You probably do, but under a different keyid.  You can assemble a good
secret keyring with just the keys you want there.  Just do the above
command line for each and collect the output into a file - i.e.:

   gpg --export-secret-key 7ede5499 > new_secring.gpg
   gpg --export-secret-key xxxxxxxx >> new_secring.gpg
   gpg --export-secret-key yyyyyyyy >> new_secring.gpg

   etc.

You should be able to do 'gpg new_secring.gpg' and see no "pub" or
"sub" lines.  Then swap new_secring.gpg in for your existing
secring.gpg.  That'll give you back a clean secret keyring, but I'm
still troubled by how you got the public key in there in the first
place.

David

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw--