OT

wiggins@danconia.org wiggins@danconia.org
Mon Mar 31 22:56:02 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:01:43 -1000, Maxine Brandt <ninjaforce@netcourrier.com> wrote:

> On Monday, March 31, 2003 12:27 PM BConley
>
>  > In our eyes as well as theirs, GnuPG is verymuch a product, just as
>  > PGP is a  product, and I find it distasteful atbest to direct
> clients
>  > of ours to gnupg.org to be confronted with an anti-war political
>  > statement.  These clients are people, some of whom may have loved
>  > ones involved in the conflict in Iraq, and becausewe referred them
>  > the site, it is a direct reflection on us.
>  >

> If I had loved ones involved in this dirty mess I would be praying
> that this war is stopped, not finding it distasteful that others feel
> the same.

But possibly if you had loved ones in Iraq living under the conditions put in place by the current regime you might be praying the war continued, or that it started sooner.

> And a second point: "No War" - this one or any other - is not
> a political statement; it's an ethical statement.

In its truest meaning you are correct, but the statement wasn't made before the current events, and if the war was over, it would not be there any longer (granted this is an assumption as well, but a fairly safe one).  There are plenty of ethical statements that could have been made before the war started, or should be made all the time, but the fact that they weren't being made (because that isn't what the site is for) is an indication that now that this one is being made, it is political rather than ethical.  Where was the ethical statement before the war about how the regime was treating the people of iraq?

http://danconia.org