Invalid subkey binding

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun May 4 02:53:01 2003

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 04:10:09PM -0400, Dennis Lambe Jr. wrote:
> I uploaded my public key to two of the keyservers that David Shaw said
> would be able to handle my subkeys, keyserver.kjsl.com and
> hkp://keyserver.bu.edu.  A friend then signed my key and sent the
> changes to keyserver.bu.edu, from which I refreshed my key.  Later, I
> refreshed it again and gpg now reports:
>=20
> ~$ gpg --refresh lambe
> gpg: refreshing 1 key from keyserver.kjsl.com
> gpg: key F53BA904: invalid subkey binding
> gpg: key F53BA904: "Dennis Patrick Lambe Jr." not changed
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:              unchanged: 1
>=20
> I've compared the --list-packets output of the key on the keyservers to
> that of a known-good copy of my key, and apart from the order that the
> UIDs are listed, and the order that signatures are listed on the UIDs,
> the outputs are identical.  So as far as I can tell, what I am able to
> retrieve from the servers is a working, complete coy of my public key.=20
> There must be something else going on, though, for GPG to complain about
> an invalid subkey binding.  Can anyone offer something by way of
> explanation, or, maybe just maybe, a way to fix the problem?

Probably someone sent an update to your key to one of the other
keyservers, which garbled it a bit, and re-synched that back to
keyserver.bu.edu.  Basically, one of your subkeys has two signatures
on it, only one of which is valid.

So long as you have both your subkeys (and you do), it's a harmless
warning, and can safely be ignored.

David

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+--