Corrupt keyrings

Tom mailaccount200001@yahoo.com
Thu May 8 16:21:41 2003

$ gpg --delete-secret-and-public-key AE68B2FE
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1; Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
sec  4096R/AE68B2FE (date)  (userid)

Delete this key from the keyring? yes
This is a secret key! - really delete? yes
gpg: /home/user/.gnupg/secring.gpg: copy to
`/home/user/.gnupg/secring.gpg.tmp' failed: file read error
gpg: deleting keyblock failed: file read error
gpg: AE68B2FE: delete key failed: file read error

$ mv secring.gpg temp.gpg
$ gpg --delete-key AE68B2FE
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1; Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: keyring `/home/user/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
pub  4096R/AE68B2FE (date)   (userid)

Delete this key from the keyring? yes
gpg: /home/user/.gnupg/pubring.gpg: copy to
`/home/user/.gnupg/pubring.gpg.tmp' failed: file read error
gpg: deleting keyblock failed: file read error
gpg: AE68B2FE: delete key failed: file read error

$ gpg --export --output pubring.asc
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
gpg: error reading keyblock: invalid keyring

$ gpg --export-secret-keys --output secring.asc
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
gpg: error reading keyblock: invalid keyring

Attempting to export individual keys to a file fails silently.

I can list keys in both the public and secret keyrings without
any problem. I can encrypt and decrypt messages without any
problem (I have not tried every key yet, however). I can not
do anything that would change a key ring, however.

Any ideas about the cause, or even better, a solution?

TS