Using GnuPG on Windows/Linux

Johan Parin Johan.Parin@abc.se
Wed May 14 21:59:02 2003

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in
the HOWTO, Guide or FAQ. I am dual booting Linux and Windows XP and I
want to use GnuPG on both systems. Of course I want to use the same
keyrings etc. This means things needs to be stored on a Windows (FAT)
partition. The problem is how to set up things on the Linux side so it
uses the files on the FAT partition.

My first approach was to set the keyring and secret-keyring variables
in the options file. The problem with this is that when the keyrings
are updated GnuPG wants to lock those files, which is not possible on
the FAT partitions. Also, this approach doesn't take care of the
trustdb file.

My second approach was to make symlinks in my ~/.gnupg to the keyrings
and the trustdb on the FAT partition. The problem with this is that
when the keyrings are updated, they are *recreated*, thus destroying
the symlinks.

I think the best approach would probably be to set the GNUPGHOME
variable to the directory on the FAT partition, bc really all files
should be shared, right? But this means the file locking problem needs
to be solved. I noticed there is a `lock-never' option but it doesn't
feel quite safe.

What would be the best way to set this up? Any suggestions welcome.

--
Johan Parin <Johan.Parin@abc.se>