localisations and charsets

Michael Nahrath gnupg-users@nahrath.de
Thu May 15 02:46:02 2003

--------------enigD7C4ADE27330A92ECF5C653A

--------------050603040308030001080502

On macgpg-users@ I have been told that this is not a Mac issue and was asked
to repost my message here.

Some explanations for those who don't know MacOS X:

"Terminal.app" is the standard terminal application - like "xterm" in X11.
"PGPPreferences" is a Mac GUI application to edit the ./gnupg/gpg.conf file.
"BBEdit" is a commercial text editor.

I tried to doublecheck in Debian-Linux but unfortunately the installations I
have access to (mainly Knoppix) don't include localisation support.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Macgpg-users] UTF8 or ISO-Latin-1 for localised shell version
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:11:22 +0200
From: Michael Nahrath <subotnik@gmx.de>
To: macgpg-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Usually I use MacOS X in German Language.

I included "export LANG=de_DE" inside my ~/.profile (bash is my standard
shell) and thus have GPG speak German in Terminal.app

I tried to follow PGPPreferences' recommendations and included
"charset utf8" in my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and switched Terminal.app to use UTF8
as default charset.

So everything works fine as long as key data is concerned.
[0x307D56ED is a fine test key]

Unfortunately all localised UI texts of GPG _don't_ display well in UTF8:

pub  1024D/307D56ED  erstellt: 2001-05-17 verf?llt: niemals  Vertrauen: f/f
sub  2048g/B9A65282  erstellt: 2001-05-17 verf?llt: niemals
(1). Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
(2)  Noèl Köthe <noel@guug.de>

["verf?llt" should read "verfällt" with the a-Umlaut]

I took a look at /usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gnupg.mo which seems
to contain all localised text.

If I open it in BBEdit as utf8 I get an error message ("malformed").
If I open it in BBEdit as MacRoman all Umlauts are broken.
If I open it in BBEdit as ISO Latin 1 everything reads right.

So I removed "charset utf8" from my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and switched
Terminal.app to use ISO Latin 1 and everything is displayed correctly.

Only GPGPreferences annoys sometimes with the warning that I should switch
everything to UTF8, but I know why I prefer to ignore this ;-)

Either the localised files should be converted to UTF8 or these silly
warnings should end and the Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) charset should become the
default.

I am not shure if this is a Mac specific issue or if I should rather have
posted it to the gnupg-users list.

If it is of interest: I compiled GPG from the sources - but I know that
other people who used the MacOS installer package have the same problem.
Version is:

[michi@localhost]~$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.2
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Unterstützte Verfahren:
Öff.Schlüssel: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
Verschlü.: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Komprimierung: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

Greeting, Michi

--------------050603040308030001080502
 filename="file:///tmp/nsmail.tmp"