PGP 2.x-like keys

Atom 'Smasher' atom-gpg at suspicious.org
Mon Nov 10 01:12:29 CET 2003

> How I can create PGP 2.x-like key from GnuPG.
> I'm usу GnuPG 1.2.3 from www.nullify.org
>
> I cannot get ones with these options:
> " gpg --pgp2 --gen-key " and " gpg --кас1991 --gen-key "
==============================

disclaimer - i'm still new to this [pgp/gpg] and not yet an expert, but
i've been doing a LOT of reading on it.... that said, i'll give your
question a shot....

do you want to generate a key that uses a single RSA key for both
encryption and signing?

how about:
	$ gpg --expert --gen-key
	gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.3; Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
	This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
	under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

	Please select what kind of key you want:
	   (1) DSA and ElGamal (default)
	   (2) DSA (sign only)
	   (4) ElGamal (sign and encrypt)
	   (5) RSA (sign only)
	   (7) RSA (sign and encrypt)
	Your selection?

and select 7... is that what you're trying to do?

of course, IIRC, PGP-2 specifies IDEA as the (only?) cipher, while openPGP
specifies that 3DES ~MUST~ be supported (among a choice of other ciphers).
there's a similar issue with SHA-1 v MD5. depending on exactly what you're
trying to do, you might have to generate a key-pair, then "key-edit" the
preferences to exclude SHA, 3DES, etc, not to mention that you'd have to
use gnupg-idea for IDEA support.

        ...atom

PGP key - http://smasher.suspicious.org/pgp.txt
3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

	"U.S. Space Command - dominating the space dimension
	 of military operations to protect US interests and
	 investment."
	"The globalization of the world economy will also
	 continue, with a widening between 'haves' and
	 'have-nots'."
		-- Vison 2020, the U.S. Space Command
		http://www.spacecom.af.mil/usspace/visbook.pdf
		http://www.space4peace.org/