Partial length headers

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Nov 20 17:50:10 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 05:28:58PM -0500, Hasnain Mujtaba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does GnuPG support Partial Length headers, as specified in the OpenPGP
> RFC 2440?

Yes.

> If so, how can I force GPG to spit out an encrypted packet using
> partial length headers? I have a 1 MB file and I want to encrypt it
> such that the Encrypted Data Packet uses partial lengths. I am
> interested in streaming the encrypted chunks to a third party.

Normally GnuPG chooses partial or not depending on the requirements of
the data (very large files must be partial, other files can be partial
or not).  You can force it to always be partial by giving it the data
via stdin.  That is, instead of doing:
	gpg --encrypt myfile
do:
	cat myfile | gpg --encrypt > output.gpg