Can anyone tell me why it is happening (fwd)

Atom 'Smasher' atom-gpg at suspicious.org
Mon Oct 13 14:31:18 CEST 2003

> That's happened to me. The company cans people with needed expertise, then
> hangs the remainder out when they can't fill the billet. I've been told to
> RTFM and fix the problem by end of day or don't come back tomorrow.  I'm
> sure several others on this list have had similar experience.  Sux being
> fired for incompetence in something that never was in your job description.
> My company uses the term "all other duties as assigned"; which means, if
> tomorrow they need me to be a helecopter pilot, me and my passengers are
> gonna die trying to fly.
============================

and if the company decides to fire the person who knows how to decrypt
email, then the company may die while trying to read an encrypted email.
that's the choice they made... fire someone who knows how to do this
critical task, and hope for the best... arguably not the best management
practice.

maybe they'll need to hire the old guy back... as a "consultant"...

i'm sure there are plenty of people on this list who have been laid-off in
the last few years, and would be fully qualified to handle such a
situation.

i don't want to sound like i'm punishing anyone... but now that the
responsibility has shifted, i suggest that the person now in charge of it
find the most comfortable chair in the office, a big glass of their
favorite hot or cold beverage, and RTFM. they may only have a small
problem now, but with something as <sarcasm>intuitive and
user-friendly</sarcasm> as pgp/gpg/pki, knowing just enough to be
dangerous can really be dangerous  ;)

        ...atom

PGP key - http://smasher.suspicious.org/pgp.txt
3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

	"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
	 Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
		-- Elie Wiesel