Why isn't this old and very trusted PGP key accepted by GPG?

Baby Peanut baby_p_nut3 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 08:45:32 CEST 2003

--- Todd <Freedom_Lover at pobox.com> wrote:

> Baby Peanut wrote:
> > $ gpg --recv-keys 40BD3D55
> >
> > worked but I still get
> >
> > $ gpg --import Victor_A_Abell.pgp
> > gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
> > gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more
> information
> > gpg: key 40BD3D55: no valid user IDs
> > gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
> > gpg: Total number processed: 1
> > gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1
> >
> > I am such at PGP & GPG dilettant that I don't really know what to
> do
> > next about this.
>
> Check the allow-non-selfsigned-uid option.  The gpg man page says
> this:
>
>     --allow-non-selfsigned-uid
>
>     --no-allow-non-selfsigned-uid
>         Allow the import and use of keys with user IDs which are
> not
>         self-signed.  This is not recommended, as a non self-signed
>         user ID is trivial to forge.  --no-allow-non-selfsigned-uid
>         disables.
>
> - --
> Todd        OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL:
> www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp

> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
> rigged demo

Thanks, it just worked.

$ gpg --allow-non-selfsigned-uid --import Victor_A_Abell.pgp
gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: key 40BD3D55: accepted non self-signed user ID 'Victor A. Abell
<abe at purdue.edu>'
gpg: key 40BD3D55: accepted non self-signed user ID 'Victor A. Abell
<abe at cc.purdue.edu>'
gpg: key 40BD3D55: "Victor A. Abell <abe at cc.purdue.edu>" 1 new user
ID
gpg: Total number processed: 1