Options to revoke a key

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 27 15:47:04 CET 2003

[Please honour my Mail-Followup-To header; I'm subscribed to the list,
and list followups don't need to Cc me.]

On 26-Oct-2003, Atom 'Smasher' wrote:
> > As far as the software is concerned, someone who has lost their
> > passphrase is indistinguishable from someone who never knew it.
>
> although, if you remember pieces of it, then you do (in theory) have
> an advantage over anyone else who might try to brute-force it.... with
> the pieces that you know, and some programming, it still may not be
> feasible to crack your own password.

Which is indistinguishable to the software; it doesn't matter, as far as
the algorithm is concerned, how much knowledge you have if you're
brute-forcing passwords.

--
 \     "Demagogue: One who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to |
  `\                  men he knows to be idiots."  -- Henry L. Mencken |