help needed desperately: gpg --decrypt hanging

Dave Della Costa dave at acadaca.com
Fri Oct 31 11:43:33 CET 2003

Hi folks,

I'm working on a RedHat 7.3 system.  We were having some problems
importing keys into an Outlook PGP plugin yesterday, and RedHat 7.3 has
1.0.6, so I upgraded to 1.0.7 per the FAQ's instruction for getting PGP
to play nicely with GPG (this didn't work by the way...PGP still
couldn't handle the secret key for some reason, but let's not get into
my frustration with THAT).  Anyways, that's the backstory; not my main
problem.

Basically, at this point, I am no longer able to decrypt messages!!!
This is screwing up our system, and has been a really, really
frustrating thing for me--I've tried to downgrade and upgrade back and
forth between 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 several times, I've deleted the .gnupg
directory and replaced it with an old back .gnupg directory, I've
completely wiped the .gnupg directory and re-imported every public and
private key we were using by hand, nothing.  I type 'gpg --decrypt,' it
asks me for the password for the secret key, and then sits there,
waiting for eternity.  What can I do to fix this?  This needed to be
working yesterday, and our system can not import orders into our
database (we are using the perl Crypt::GPG package in our import script,
FYI).  I've searched through the last year or so of the archives but I
can not find anything relevant, my apologies if this is a common issue
and I missed it.  I kind of hope that is the case.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
HELP!!!

Thank you,
Dave D.

--