broken ascii armor (was Re: auto decrypt in unix)

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Sep 17 16:27:02 2003

Thanks Todd.  That was the first message I'd signed in a long time here.
Since the company has standardized on the software from a local (Redmond,
WA) software company for the desktop, I'm somewhat at the mercy of MS
Outlook (not the express version).

And, I haven't checked that the PK on the Windows box is exactly the same as
the PK on the Unix boxes.  It's the Unix boxes that do all the work with the
encrypted files.

Bottom line, I'll refrain from signing emails.

Thanks,
--Steve

PS.  Looks like something wrapped my prior message at a most in-opportune
place!

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd [mailto:Freedom_Lover@pobox.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 1:00 AM
To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
Subject: broken ascii armor (was Re: auto decrypt in unix)

Steve Butler wrote:

> for x in *
> do
>    cat ./passphrase | ./gpg --batch --passphrase-fd 0 --no-tty --out
> ${x#.*}.txt --decrypt $x
> done
>

> Isn't the Korn shell nice!

Steve,

Your message tripped up a small issue in mutt.  The first paragraph of your
message disappeared after the signature was checked (which still fails even
after I downloaded your key).  I tracked this down and found that the ascii
armoring on your message has had a few errant spaces added, one of which
causes mutt to think the first paragraph is part of the armor header.  In
your message, the line after Hash: SHA1 contains a single space.  According
to the OpenPGP RFC:

   7. Cleartext signature framework

      [...]

      The cleartext signed message consists of: