GPG - Invalid packet

Steve Butler sbutler at fchn.com
Fri Apr 2 17:49:43 CEST 2004

I had a similar problem with files coming from a mainframe environment.
They threw some switch that made the file a multiple of their sector length.
The trailing bytes became all hex zeros.  I edited the file to remove the
trailing bytes and GnuPG worked fine.  The sender never did admit that the
problem was theirs but subsequent files did not end at a sector boundary.
See if the file size is a multiple of 256 bytes.

The other thing that bites (or should I say bytes <<grin>>) is when somebody
ships the file to us in ASCII mode without using the --ascii-armor.  Since
our FTP server is running on Linux, any CR/LF combinations are transformed
into just the LF.  That will stop the decryption with all sorts of strange
results (depending on where the bytes were dropped).

Right now none of our senders are using the --ascii-armor switch and we are
not using it for our recipients.  Been doing this for a couple of years.
Once it is set up and automated (on both ends) then it works like a charm.
But, everybody has to handle the file as binary.  Some folks have a hard
time grasping that concept -- especially one un-named vendor up here in the
USA Pacific Northwest (not Billy boy).