secrets lying around on the HD

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Apr 13 15:50:19 CEST 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:55:33 +0200, Per Tunedal Casual said:

> What about virtual memory (SWAP-files) in Windows?

That may indeed happen and we can't do anything about it.  The only
possible solution is to write a device driver and let it allocate
memory for secrets.  This memory will then be managed via ioctls.
There is one such driver available but it is not Free Software so we
have not looked deeper into it.

There are currently rumors that the W32 API VirtualLock does indeed
lock pages against paging - if this is true we will ad this to the
next GnuPG version.

  Werner