secrets lying around on the HD

Gates, Scott SGates at olbh.com
Tue Apr 13 20:19:51 CEST 2004

There will be temp files, and pieces of files on your machine left as you
create the plaintext document.  The editing process is messy.  Myself, I do
a daily Disk Cleanup, and weekly Defrag followed by a PGP wipe*3 of the disk
free space.  On a 40GB HDD with a medium sized processor, it takes a while,
otherwize I'd do it nightly.  I use PGP to wipe files on my HDD that contain
company secrets (yes, the company BOUGHT PGP for data security.

Other than that, I trust GPG & PGP for TRANSFERING data securely--PGP when
I'm able to use it interactively--GPG for batched processes.  I know our
network administrator and feel reasonably secure with his ability to keep
the riff-raff out of the network.  So, Don't write GPG/PGP off completely.

Perhaps if you could get GPG to work on one of the various KNOPPIX distros?
Burn the client s/w to the bootable CD, then boot with that CD with the HDD
unplugged.  Might work.  Might not.  Could make for an interesting few days
of trying.  Then you could encrypt to a virtual drive in memory, send the
data to whomever, and the evidence is automagically permanently deleted when
you power down the machine.

A friend once quoted "Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are
dead".  I ran away before he had a chance to share any privledged
information.   I haven't seen the him or the other guy since.  <GRIN>