openPGP vs x509

darren chamberlain dlc at sevenroot.org
Tue Apr 13 22:56:03 CEST 2004

* Atom 'Smasher' <atom-gpg at suspicious.org> [2004/04/13 16:12]:
> > Ask them! I guess it has two advantages:
> > 1) easier to use (e.g. built into Outlook and Outlook Express and key
> > distribution is automatic.)
>
> is that another case of M$ trying to break a standard so they can fill
> their pockets? if trust has to come from a commercial entity....

No, there are many mail clients that can natively use x509 certs, like
Lotus Notes and Netscape Messenger.  The standards exist and are
implemented independently of Microsoft.

(darren)

--
It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and
certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.