pgp/mime vs in-line pgp

Atom 'Smasher' atom-gpg at suspicious.org
Wed Apr 14 23:00:36 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Len Sassaman wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Doug Barton wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Pine is under a "non-free" license, and
> > > the Pine authors have repeatedly rejected such patches.
> >
> > One could argue that large parts of this thread have been off topic for
> > this list, however I'm firmly of the opinion that the type of political
> > rhetoric about licenses that you've stated here is definitely off topic,
> > and personally I'd appreciate it if it was just skipped altogether.
=========================

that's not "political rhetoric", that's a point of fact regarding pine.

as long as it involves the USE of gpg, i'd say it's on topic here.

> > > They have no interest in OpenPGP support, period.
> >
> > I'm not sure this is accurate either, or at least I think you're being
> > too specific by mentioning OpenPGP. It would be safer to say that PGP
> > integration in general has not been a goal for the Pine development
> > team, and that it's handled fairly well by a variety of third party
> > plugins.
>
> It is handled horribly. Show me one good plugin that supports PGP well.
> PGP4Pine? pgpenvelope? I've been involved in the development/testing of
> both of those for years, and they both are horrible. It is the latter that
> I use, since it is the best that Pine can get us, but that doesn't mean it
> is good. This is a fault not of the authors of the plugins, but of the
> Pine plugin API.
====================

they don't seem to have an interest in security, either (i say this after
raising security issues with the pine devel group, and receiving an
asinine response that demonstrated a serious lack of understanding about
security protocols). despite my own use of pine, this is evident in the
pine changelog. as i become more aware of these issues, my motivation to
migrate away from pine grows stronger.

len, have you tried ez-pine-gpg? it was written after i was disappointed
with the other gpg/pine filters.
	http://business-php.com/opensource/ez-pine-gpg/

> > In regards to the MIME issue, Pine doesn't give the user the ability to
> > manipulate attachments at all, so you can't create PGP MIME messages.
>
> A major flaw in Pine.
=======================

and a violation of the pgp/mime and s/mime RFCs.

<<snip>>
> But none of this changes the fact that the answer to Pine's problems is
> *not* "go implement it yourself and it will all be better."
======================

*if* the pine API even allows it...

        ...atom

 PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
 3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

	"Since trade ignores national boundaries and the manufacturer
	 insists on having the world as a market, the flag of his
	 nation must follow him, and the doors of the nations which
	 are closed against him must be battered down. Concessions
	 obtained by financiers must be safeguarded by ministers of
	 state, even if the sovereignty of unwilling nations be
	 outraged in the process. Colonies must be obtained or
	 planted, in order that no useful corner of the world may be
	 overlooked or left unused."
		-- Woodrow Wilson,
		President of the United States, 1919