Why GPG doesn't use filename inside encrypted file?

Ivan Boldyrev boldyrev+nospam at cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru
Tue Apr 20 06:17:10 CEST 2004

I encrypted some-file.  some-file.gpg was produced.

$ gpg -e some-file

When I list packets I see:

:literal data packet:
        mode b, created 1082433628, name="some-file",
        raw data: 9371 bytes

I renamed some-file.gpg to data.gpg.  Now when I decrypt data.gpg with
--decrypt-file or without options output file goes to ./data.  (I do
not use --decrypt because output goes to stdout if I do not specify
output file explicitely).

How can I decrypt file so that original name of file is restored
automatically?

[ib@ ~]$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.3.5

Ivan Boldyrev

        Outlook has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
        If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.