re. Moving from PGP to GnuPG and other questions ...

Denis Green rainman at hod.aarg.net
Wed Apr 28 16:14:45 CEST 2004

Hello group

1/
Thanks for the responses. I've downloaded GPG and
installed the same.

- - Since I don't have an earlier installation of *trusted GPG*
            and
- - couldn't succeed with the MD5sum command, I haven't
  verified the signatures.

So If someone can help me with the verification of
signatures, I'd be grateful

2/
Though I've been using PGP for a short while, I've never
checked detached signatures.

3/
I've installed GPG and GPG shell in a temporary directory
(to test out till I verify signatures). I hope I can un-
install and re install GPG / shell, if need be (if the
signature check end up bad)

I've imported public / private keys from PGP using GPGKeys

I can see the keys when I start GPGKeys (though I
see each key repeated in two lines)

4/
When I try to encrypt files using GPGtools, I get to
select the file(to be encrypted), but when the
" GPG Tools - Encrypt " window opens up, I don't see
any public keys in the dialog box

5/
What I've checked so far
- ------------------------------
- - GPG.exe is in the path
- - GnuPG-Homedir has the config files
  http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html#q5.8
- - the correct directory (having config and keyrings ) is
  specified as the - GnuPG-Homedir in the GPgconfig window

6/
I've visited
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html
but can't find an answer to my problem

7/
any clues on where I've gone wrong ?
any help / directions are appreciated

8/
sorry about the "free " software stuff in my last post

9/
How does one denote "free as in free beer" (i.e.) Software
not requiring payment, while writing to groups like this ?

[and how to distinguish **that** from Free as in Freedom of
Speech ? -say a version of Linux that needs payment ]

thanks

DG

send a blank mail to rainman_(1)_eml_(2)_cc to get my
public key. replace _(1)_ with @ and _(2)_ with .