gpg: malformed CRC

Seppo Laaksonen slaakso at nic.fi
Thu Aug 5 17:34:51 CEST 2004

On Wed Aug 4 22:09:09 CEST 2004,  vedaal wrote:

> in general,
> any armored pgp message that omits the checksum and the footer
> (both at once) will cause a GnuPG error message of:
> 'gpg: malformed CRC'
> and be un-openable in GnuPG,
> (unless the --ignore-crc-error option is used,
> in which case, the error message is the same, but GnuPG will decrypt
> it),
> but will still be able to be decrypted by PGP,
> without any error messages.

Vedaal,
thank you very much. Using the option helped opening the messages that
I have not been able to open before.

Just out of the curiosity, what is the additional protection that the
checksum and the footer does provide? I'm wondering why I should not
use the option by default (or why is it not on by default)? Reading
from the man-page (now that I'm aware of the option), it seems that the
checksum and the footer are there just to show that message received is
exactly the same as the sent one. However, the content is still
protected.

--
Seppo