Question about multiple secret keys

James P. Howard, II howardjp at vocito.com
Thu Aug 12 14:45:27 CEST 2004

I have multiple encryption keys tied to one uid.  I have exported
the secret keys and disabled the master signing key so that I can
use what appears to be one master key/uid combination across
mutliple systems.  However, when I sign something, I receive errors
these errors:

  $ head /dev/zero | gpg --clearsign
  gpg: no secret subkey for public subkey F2F27436 - ignoring
  gpg: no secret subkey for public subkey 6A55BA00 - ignoring
  gpg: no secret subkey for public subkey 5A697E12 - ignoring
  gpg: no secret subkey for public subkey E89583AE - ignoring

  You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for

This, in turn, causes mutt to display the error message.  Is there
any mechanism for disabling this announcement?

Thank you, James

James P. Howard, II  --  howardjp at vocito.com
http://www.jameshoward.us/  --  202-390-4933