8-bit message encrypted by gnupg appears as 7-bit after decryption?

Jens commercial at acamedia.org
Thu Aug 26 19:30:09 CEST 2004

this might be a silly question but my curiosity has not been satisfied after
three days of continuous web searching so i hope somebody will humour me.

kmail encodes some of my utf-8 emails as base64. this happens when i dont
allow 8bit and when i type arabic.

my question is this: after an outgoing message is encrypted with gnupg the
body of the message appears as 7bit. meaning that when it arrives as the
recipient he/she will have no way of knowing the original encoding after
decryption.

does this never cause problems? how can the mua know whether the original
email was 7bit, 8bit or base64?

i should also say that i have not had any problems but then again you rarely
do when emailing yourself. i would just really like to know how the recipient
knows what type of body he is dealing with.

thanks