Error on initial call under Darwin

Alexander Nouak nouak at zeitform.de
Fri Aug 27 12:48:49 CEST 2004

Hi Werner,

Am 27.08.2004 um 12:24 Uhr schrieb Werner Koch:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:06:06 +0200, Alexander Nouak said:
>
>> gpg: failed to create temporary file
>> Permission denied
>> gpg: keyblock resource `/Users/<user>/.gnupg/secring.gpg': Allgemeiner
>> Fehler
>
> Check the permissions on the .gnupg directory. Are you able to do a
>
> touch /Users/<user>/.gnupg/dummy-file
>
> ?

Thanks for your reply.

The point is: I get this error message as a new user who doesn't have
any .gnupg dir yet. Unlike previous versions gnupg 1.2.6 needs a
present .gnupg dir to create some of the necessary files to run gnupg
properly.

If you create the .gnupg dir yourself and invoke gpg then, pubring.gpg
and secring.gpg are created but the gpg.conf is missing :-((((

This behaviour is not limited to Darwin but happens under Linux as well.

So it seems to be another bug introduced with 1.2.6.

For the Mac installer this is not very serious since we are working on
a script which creates the files if not already present for all
existing users. Furthermore we also add .gnupg with its files inside
the user template.

However, this seems to be a nasty bug for all users new to gnupg
creating their keyfiles for the very first time.

Servus

Alexander
http://macgpg.sf.net

--
Alexander Nouak
zeitform Internet Dienste OHG   Fraunhoferstr. 5