Using the "preferred keyserver URL" in GnuPG 1.4

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Dec 21 20:21:05 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:54:34PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:
>
> > Excellent.  The fix will be in 1.4.1.
>
> Great!
>
> >> Command> keyserver dns:simon.josefsson.org?type=CERT
> >
> > Neat.  Where can I download gpgkeys_dns? ;)
>
> I did some work on a DNS based client earlier,
> <http://josefsson.org/gpgkeys_jkp/>, but I'm not sure how well it
> works today.
>
> But writing a gpgkeys_dns.c using res_query should not be difficult.
> Would you accept it if I wrote it?  Could be a fun Christmas
> project...

If it is okay with Werner, it is ok with me.  The only thing is that
we need a copyright assignment to the FSF.  Keep in mind that you're
committing yourself to maintain it on different platforms :) :)

> Can gpg use the keyserver infrastructure for revocation checking?

Not currently.  Somewhere on the todo list is a change to allow that.
It is difficult since there is no way to say "give me this update only
if it is revoked" in many keyserver protocols.  It is possible in
LDAP, and with CERT of course.

David