Is there a gpgkeys_mailto for Win32?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Dec 29 05:14:52 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:16:52AM +0800, Zuxy wrote:
> gpgkeys_mailto is now a perl script and hence not natively supported
> by Windows. I installed a perl interpreter and managed to activate
> gpgkeys_mailto simply by typing its name under console, i.e.
> "gpgkeys_mailto" instead of "perl -w gpgkeys_mailto", but gpg can't
> recognize this.
>
> I hacked into the source and found that the problem is gpg uses
> CreateProcess API under Win32 instead of a simple system() call. In
> fact, under Win32, system("gpgkeys_mailto") works while
> CreateProcess(NULL, "gpgkeys_mailto", ...) fails.

This is intentional.  Unlike the unix-ish system(), win32 system()
returns immediately to the calling process and does not wait for the
spawned process to exit.  This does not work for GnuPG since we need
to know when the child process exited and what its return code was.
Hence the CreateProcess call.

> So would the team either
> 1. provide a gpgkeys_mailto.exe for Win32;

I'm not against it, but not that interested in writing it myself ;)

The mailto keyserver helper has always been a bit of a lower
priority.  I was surprised to see your mail, actually.  I didn't think
anyone was using it.

> 2. find some workaround so that gpgkeys_mailto will work with a perl
> interpreter and a sendmail installation;

Anyone have any ideas on this one?  Is there some win32 shell magic
that can be used to associate gpgkeys_mailto with a perl interpreter?

> or (the most native way)
> 3. write a .WSH file, and replace "sendmail" with a mailto url therein.

I'd like more information about this.  Can you give me a pointer?

David