Can one add a name to a user ID?

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Feb 9 11:20:05 CET 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 21.31, Ben Wise wrote:
> I have a key, one of whose UID's is just an email address, not a "name
> <address>" pair.
>
> Is there a way to associate a name with that address, short of deleting
> the UID (and all signatures) and creating a new one?

After you have created a userid, there is now way to change it. After you have
published your userid, there is no way to delete it (you can delete it
locally, but your friends and probably the keyservers will still have it).

So you're basically out of luck. You can create a new userid, with name and
email, and ask people to sign that one. Then, after you have collected some
signatures, you may want to revoke the old userid. Personally, I'd just leave
it and put it down as a lesson learned: think carefully when creating public
keys (and userids).

cheers
-- vbi

--