trailing whitespace

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Feb 9 12:20:43 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 06:32:47AM -0500, Atom 'Smasher' wrote:
> RFC 2440 mentions trailing blanks & whitespace in:
>   5.2.1. Signature Types
>   7.1. Dash-Escaped Text
>
> particularly in 5.2.1 what i'm not sure of, is if this refers only to
> blanks at the end of a line or also blank lines at the end of the
> document. it seems that my gpg on freeBSD gets rid of any blank lines from
> the bottom before appending the signature, but i've seen other versions of
> gpg (linux) leave a blank line between the end of the signed text and the
> beginning of the signature. is one way right and the other way wrong? are
> both ways acceptable? what prevents this from causing problems in real
> life?

GnuPG does not behave differently on FreeBSD or Linux.  On all
platforms, there are no blank lines added or removed at the end of the
original text file when signing.  If you are using GnuPG via a mail
program, perhaps the mail program is doing some manipulation before
the text is passed to GnuPG to be signed.

David