Question about backdoors

Gates, Scott SGates at olbh.com
Mon Feb 9 13:20:05 CET 2004

Theoretically, anything is possible.  One coder claimed he would only trust
encryption code HE compiled with a compiler HE built on an OS he
bootstrapped from source with a small model compiler.  That's a little
EXTREME, but you get the idea.

Even thoroughly checked open source code can have backdoors installed
surreptitiously by secretive three-lettered agencies. Frankly, the nations
that have the technology to do that are few, and in the rest, cost makes
beating the information out of you MUCH cheaper.  I use GPG for business
communications only.  If the U.S. Feds really want to break through my
encryption, they would find I am using it to comply with laws THEY
wrote--namely HIPAA.