Bug: Unusable key

Chris Fox dissectingtable at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 18:03:01 CET 2004

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

| Please don't Cc on public replies to posts to mailing lists. I read
| the mailing lists.

Please clear your reply-to field as you're supposed to and you won't
have to ask everyone to special-case replies to you.

| On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:19:58PM -0800, Chris Fox wrote:
|
|>gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
|>| On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:41:28AM -0800, Steve Butler wrote:
|>
|>| I really don't like this extremist, all or nothing approach. It's
|>| very easy for that error message to cite a few of the *probable*
|>| reasons (expired, revoked, maybe a subkey) and save the user time in
|>| figuring out what broke. It's really just not necessary to cover all
|>| the bases for the error messages to be qualitatively better.
|>
|>I think the idea that an informative error message will help a hacker is
|>malarky.  Anyone trying to hack is going to be stepping through the gpg
|>source code in a debugger and is not even going to be *reading* the
|>error messages.
|

| Please reread what I wrote there. You are exhibiting exactly the
| extremist attitude that I'm referring to.

"Use a word three times and it is yours"  I think you've successfully
added "extremist" to your vocabulary.  Now if you could only learn some
sense about *when* to use it.

And if my position that error messages should be informative is
"extreme," then color me extreme from head to toe.

Hey, I think I'll listen to some Paul Schütze recordings on the Extreme
label, thanks for the suggestion.

|>I vote for a completely detailed explanation to the user.

| Great. All or nothing. Lovely. Exactly the thing that will result in
| no change at all, since it's incredibly difficult to accurately
| report what the problem was,

I can see how much you know about programming.  Why should I suppose you
know anything more about crypto?
- --
Chris Fox, Windows User, Linux User (#341856), non-partisan
Since free markets lead directly to monopoly, oligarchy, poverty,
unemployment, and Fascism, they cannot be said to "work" in any
meaningful sense.