Newsserver name

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 15 17:47:22 CET 2004

Markus Innerebner markusin-at-yahoo.de |Lists| wrote:
> Hello,
> Iwant to install the Newsgroup Account for my Browser. So I need the
> name of this news-server.  I tried to find it, but I wasn't able.
>
> Can somebody give me the name please?
>
> best regards

It sounds to me like there is a slight confusion of terms going on here.
gnupg-users is a mailing list, not a newsgroup.

(Although I personally wish all mailing lists, including this one,
*were* newsgroups instead.)

And you really don't use your "browser" for news. News (Usenet) uses a
protocol called NNTP, and some email clients can do News or NNTP in
addition to handle email. Mozilla, Thunderbird and Outlook Express,
spring to mind. Or you can use a dedicated news-reader. And as you
correctly have discovered, you'll need a news server to connect to.
Mostly that server is offered by our ISP, and the news server I use is
probably not accessible to you. Ask/browse your ISP and ask/look for the
usenet/news/NNTP server - probably in the same place they list their
SMTP/mail outgoing server.

To confuse the matter a little bit, Google offers a web interface to
read news, and calls them "groups" instead. See http://groups.google.com/
But you will not find gnupg-users there, because gnupg-users is not a
newsgroup - it is a mailing list - not the same thing.

Hope that helps a little. If not, feel free to email me directly - but
if it is a mailing list / newsgroup in general topic, lets keep it off
the list...

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch