Photo-ID: questions

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Sat Feb 21 17:15:07 CET 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:41:23PM +0100, Ruediger Kupper wrote:
> The difference is that these documents are produced by a (hopefully)
> trusted manufacturer (the "Bundesdruckerei" for German ID cards),
> are certified by a (hopefully) trusted authority (my home city's
> registry office), and are designed to be (hopefully) non-forgeable.

You are putting a lot of trust in hope there. I'd prefer to trust in
things that I know to be true, not in things that I hope are true.

Some of us, especially those of us living in the US right now and
interested in strong cryptography, are justifiably slightly les
willing to do so, given recent legislation passed by the US federal
government.

It may be safe, now, for you to trust those institutions in Germany,
but that has, I'm sure you'll agree, not always been the case in
Germany.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net