MS and PKI (was RE: Mutt/GnuPG-Outlook-plugin diffs...)

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Sun Feb 22 12:35:03 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:59:36AM -0500, Dennis Lambe Jr. wrote:
> I don't really understand this conflict between 3rd-party cert systems
> and PKI systems.  Perhaps I'm missing some subtle nuance, but isn't PKI
> a proper superset of 3rd-party cert?

Yes, but that superset allows things with which certain businesses
are uncomfortable. (For the pessimist: cutting out the cert
authority's revenue stream through a community effort to cross-sign
webserver keys. For the optimist: a central authority, with no
option to create your own trusted CA without going through the
motions of proving you can be trusted, is necessary for business,
though it's not absolutely necessary for personal, communication.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net