evolution & textmode

Ingo Klöcker ingo.kloecker at epost.de
Mon Jan 19 23:55:12 CET 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 19:20, Brian V Bonini wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:59, debianuser wrote:
> > Hello Brian,
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:19:16AM -0500, Brian V Bonini wrote:
> > > How can I force Evolution to use textmode signatures?
> >
> > I found this[1] gnupg-users thread for you.  I think it might be
> > helpful.
>
> Thanks Nick, however I have no problem with it being an attachment
> but I was hoping for it to be a textmode attachment rather then
> binary.
>
> IE: looking for this:
> gpg: textmode signature, digest algorithm SHA1
>
> rather then this:
> gpg: binary signature, digest algorithm SHA1

Why do you want to do this? Following the "MIME Security with OpenPGP"
specification (RFC 3156) the to be signed data is first canonicalized
(e.g. all line endings are converted to CRLF) and then the signature is
calculated. Textmode signatures don't make any sense in this setting.
They were used by PGP 2 in order to circumvent exactly the problems
that are nowadays circumvented by the canonicalization prior to
calculating the signature. Textmode signatures do only make sense when
you clearsign a text. But Evolution doesn't support clearsigning AFAIK.

Regards,
Ingo