smtp and gpg-signature?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Wed Jan 21 11:04:19 CET 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 00:37, Lars Wenderoth wrote:

> What I would like to know is: Which part of the mail code has to be
> signed? Or does anybody see any other problems?

I recommend you read the RFC (3156 in this case), which should explain
everything.

Basically, you sign from the first line of the MIME part headers until the
last line of the body of the MIME part to be signed. Also, as Anthony has
mentioned, you have to use 'DOS style' line endings (\r\n) and not the
(unix-style) '\n' line endings.

Try to verify a few emails by hand (using the shell and commandline gpg), if
you manage it, you will have understood how it works. (Oh, and if you try to
verify my emails: my key is 92082481 - automatically retrieving it at
signature verification does not work).

cheers
-- vbi

--