Multiple runs of gpg and differing filesizes

Marcus Williams marcus at quintic.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 11:51:49 CET 2004

Hi -

If I pick a reasonable sized file (>1mb say) and run something like:

for i in `seq 50`; do cat file.tar | /usr/bin/gpg--symmetric --passphrase-fd=3 > file.$i 3<pp ; done

I get 50 encrypted copies of the file, but they are not all the same
size. This leads me to three questions :)

1) Is this because of the internal compression?
2) If so, can I guarantee the same filesize if I switch off internal compression?
3) If so, can I pipe the file through gzip _and then_ gpg with no compression
can I guarantee the same filesize?

(I'm using gpg 1.2.4)

Thanks

Marcus

--
Marcus Williams -- http://www.quintic.co.uk
Quintic Ltd, 39 Newnham Road, Cambridge, UK