Multiple runs of gpg and differing filesizes

Gates, Scott SGates at olbh.com
Wed Jan 28 09:28:37 CET 2004

That's par for the course.

The algorithm adds a certain amount of random data, because you're REALLY
just encrypting the session key which encrypted the data. Compression
happens before the encryption, if I'm remembering right; so if you turn off
compression, I'd be willing to bet the size would vary even more.  I
wouldn't guess it would be TOO much, say +- 5%.

Why does it matter that the files be EXACTLY the same size?