gpg --edit-key when the key has many signatures

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Jul 21 13:35:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:40:49AM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:22:47PM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> >>sometimes when editing a key (in order to sign a specific uid associated
> >>with the key) it takes quite a while until the command prompt shows. It
> >>seems to be related to the number of signatures on the key and occurs
> >>also when only the key to be signed and the signing key are in the
> >>public keyring.
>
> > How long is "quite a while"?
> 3 Minutes 5 Seconds
>
> > How many is a "number of signatures"?
> A total of 3300 signatures on 16 uids.
>
> (That's on a notebook with Pentium M 1.5 with Debian.)

Check something for me - you say there are 16 uids.  Do an --edit-key
on this key and count them.  Then do a --list-keys on this key and
again count the uids.  Do all the numbers match?

Also, is --list-keys really slow like --edit-key or is it fast?  If
--list-keys is fast, then check if --check-sigs on this key is slow.

There are two good possible reasons why this key is slow for you, and
I'm trying to nail down which one.

David